We've Moved
JCink Bound

Registration on here is now CLOSED because we have moved off of SMF and onto JCink. Come join us on our new shiny forums!!

Author Topic: just a regular kind of morning  (Read 767 times)

Description:

KaePhoenix
He/Him
PST
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."

N
octurnus watched the cooking process very carefully, his nose twitching as he attempted to catch all the smells as they changed. His ears were also at attention, listening to the various sizzling and bubbling sounds coming from the cooking device.

When Amadine asked Nocturnus what he thought about cooking, he was unsure how to reply. Humans are strange, was always the default answer he would give other kindred when asked that question. He was not sure how humans felt about being viewed as "strange". He certainly knew he didn't understand why humans thought kindred ways were unusual.

*Different,* came Nocturnus's reply, *Different than kindred.* He thought hard about something else to say. *Curious this cooking. Not see before. Not close. Kindred follow instincts. Cooking not instinct. Hunt and eat raw food. Though sometimes take cooked food when hunting not good.*

Nocturnus's speech became more broken the longer he went on. He was curious about human ways, and thus excited to witness them. His excitement disrupted his ability to form careful responses. Still he continued to watch Amadine, being chattier than usual.

Astarte
she/her
GMT
Look around you. Soak in these mountains, the silence and the beauty of the lake. Draw in the air, fresh and cold from the peaks, and scented now with the early flowers of spring. This is the land. As it should be. Carry it with you in your hearts
She didn't want her guest to feel either overwhelmed or unwelcome and so far everything appeared to be going really well. At least none one seemed to be sulking or anything like that. Amadine knew that the kindred had their own sense of pride and even if it might not be fully or entirely justified that wouldn't alter how much she respected and liked them.

Amadine moved a portion of her cooked fish off to one side and then positioned it toward him Would you like to have some? she made the offer casually, not completely sure that her companion would agree but accepted that it would have been wrong not to say anything about offering it in the first place. Besides it wasn't as if she didn't have plenty to make sharing a straightforward matter and the sort of thing that had her immediately smiling as she waited. Amadine was excited to see if he might agree and if so what he thought about her meal. Would he like it? Was that something that he could or would do? Amandine didn't know all that much but she did accept that she really would like it if he did enjoy her cooking.

There was something about it all that made her want it a great deal And hunting sounds like it would or could be fun. I just don't think I would be much good at it, especially not compared to you she just didn't have that kind of skill  on hand.

KaePhoenix
He/Him
PST

N
octurnus sniffed the offered food cautiously. Nothing seemed out of place, not that he expected a Healer to poison him. The combination of smells was pleasing to him, so he nibbled on a bit of fish. It was soft and flaky. He paused to lick the sauce from his mouth.

*Good,* Nocturnus admitted before continuing to eat. The dish was heavier than his usual diet, and he wondered how it might affect his stomach later. For now, it sated the hunger in his belly, and he was glad to have this opportunity to study humans up close.

Nocturnus pondered Amadine's comments about hunting. He supposed hunting could be considered "fun" at times. Mostly it was just a way to fulfill a need. Several needs, in fact. He didn't hunt for "sport" as some humans did. However, young ones did pretend to hunt early on as a way to practice. He supposed he found it "fun" to play hunt when he was a kitten.

*Human Healer not hunt for fun.* Nocturnus offered. *Go against nature. You not need to hunt for food like kindred.* He was making an assumption based on the human markets he had seen, and the farms and fields. Humans did hunt for food too, but that seemed to be mostly males doing that kind of work.

Astarte
she/her
GMT
Look around you. Soak in these mountains, the silence and the beauty of the lake. Draw in the air, fresh and cold from the peaks, and scented now with the early flowers of spring. This is the land. As it should be. Carry it with you in your hearts
There was something about another being appreciating your efforts, even in the smallest of ways. It was after all just a simple question of her cooking what was, really just a simple meal. Amandine had very little chance or opportunity for entertainment and even if not everyone was prepared to accept that kindred could fall into that kind of category, it was not an opinion which she shared.

Amandine smiled again. Enjoying the chance to see him partaking, even as she shook her head "No, I don't hunt" she swapped to speech with an absent-minded manner, as determined to have some time with her own meal and it was a good one. Amandine had been raised to be respectful and mindful of the energy demands that came in line with her own strength and abilities. She didn't know how necessary it was but it had always made more sense in the end to accept the lessons, even the ones that seemed more whimsical than at other times.

She sighed and took a breath I suspect some enjoy hunting and killing I don't but then I am a Healer and it would be... I do not think I can handle anything like that. I am far too soft-hearted Amadine admitted, not ashamed but it did seem to be a difference.

KaePhoenix
He/Him
PST

N
octurnus finished his meal, and watched as Amadine continued hers. He did not know what to say, so he proceeded to clean his face. His thoughts wandered to the day's tasks that needed to be done. As much as he wanted to stay, he knew he could not.

*Good food. You good,* Nocturnus offered his thanks before saying his goodbyes. *I go now. Must check on others.* He didn't offer much of an explanation, and hoped she wouldn't ask for a better one. The Protectors would certainly be cross with him if he began divulging secrets.

The one thing Nocturnus was unsure of was whether he should gift Amadine something in return for the food. He had watched humans exchanging things in the market all the time. This did not seem the same. Amadine had offered him something without asking for something in kind. Perhaps she simply did not want to be alone. The company was appreciated.