We've Moved
JCink Bound

Registration on here is now CLOSED because we have moved off of SMF and onto JCink. Come join us on our new shiny forums!!

Author Topic: Another Day at the Office  (Read 295 times)

Description: Tag: Zerek

KaePhoenix
He / Him
PST
"If someone isn't nice to you, tell them that you like their shoes. It works every time."

N
athan muttered to himself as he shifted another pile of paperwork on his desk. The spring-time tithes were always a headache to go through. Money was coming in, new loans were being granted, and upkeep had to be maintained.

The accounting side of Nathan's position kept him behind his desk for a least a month this time of year. He had already been at it for several hours and was feeling the strain. His tie had been vanished, and his collar undone. It was a relaxed look that was uncommon for him, but right now he needed comfort for the long days ahead of him.

Nathan's office door was closed, but not locked. He wanted to deter as much incoming work as possible, but not bar the Court from reaching him if needed. Unfortunately for him, closed door or no, he was always needed for one thing or another.

Seraphim
He/Him
pst

It was the daily check-in with Nathan, and Zerek already was dragging his feet down the hallway. Casual banter with anyone passing by, he inquired after wives, health, weather, sales in the courtyard, the last escapade at the bars the night before. There was at least one of each. It was not that he did not appreciate the company of the other man but if yesterday was any indication of the week, Nathan was likely head to toe in paperwork and would rather not have the company. He rarely did but that was why he was good at his job. Zerek took care of the security and general pulse of the threat and court of the area, and Nathan covered everything else.

Now he was moving his office next to where Aria wanted to put the nursery which would free up his current office for Nathan or someone else to take over. It was larger than most. It wasn't exactly the reason he wanted to reach out, but a daily update was good for both of them. Really, though, Zerek needed to take the man out for a drink.

A tap on the door, he waited for the welcome (or dismissal) and swung the door open. His own book of notes in hand. Loose suit on, Zerek tried not to shake his head at the insane formal wear of his peer sitting at his desk. "I like the tie today. Got any updates for me?"

KaePhoenix
He / Him
PST
"If someone isn't nice to you, tell them that you like their shoes. It works every time."

B
riefly closing his eyes against the coming headache, Nathan braced himself for whatever the Master of the Guard had for him today.

"Come," Nathan commanded towards the closed door. He gave Zerek a cool stare, and buried the feeling of annoyance brought on by the Warlord Prince's comments on his personal style. Such jabs were not uncommon. It was no secret between them that Zerek thought Nathan was too "formal", in many regards. He didn't give Zerek the satisfaction of giving in to a pissing contest. Such spats were fruitless and meaningless.

Nathan put down his pen and sat back in his leather-bound office chair. "As a matter-of-fact, yes. I've heard that Lady Glass wishes to visit. I would like to know what preparations have already been made so that I can coordinate the rest."

Seraphim
He/Him
pst

"Good, you received my note." Zerek pulled out a chair, flipped it around, and straddled it as he sat down. Flipping his own notebook open against the head of the chair, he flipped through a few pages before he found the one that he needed.

"We have two weeks and a bit to set up a banquet or dance. I'm fairly certain Aria will want us all dressed up and able to host both. Which gives you a little more extra work. I am sure you will find room in the budget to bring on a little extra help to see that it is done on time." He made a mark in his list labeled 'tell Nathan the bad news'. He knew Nathan loved parties, though at times he couldn't read the man enough to know what he actually liked. "Not that I doubt you can't handle it."

And there were days he did not mind being an asshole.

KaePhoenix
He / Him
PST

K
eeping his expression neutral, and his thoughts carefully guarded, Nathan watched Zerek "sit" on one of the chairs. "Unsophisticated" was a word that came to mind, but Nathan said nothing, as usual. He had seen a young Eyrien Warlord Prince with more class than the Master of Ostrava possessed. Which was saying something, as Eyriens, in general, were a savage race.

Nathan listened carefully to Zerek's report, and was not surprised by the ultimate lack of preparations that had actually been done. Just more requests, and more work for Nathan. Typical. At least Nathan would be the one in charge of planning. It suited him to manage the arrival of a powerful and influential Queen, even if she wasn't a ruling one.

"Of course I can handle it," Nathan replied in a calm dismissive tone, picking up his pen to make a few notes on a spare bit of parchment. The simple affairs that Zerek referred to as a "banquet" and "dance" were trivial compared to the grand galas Nathan had had to arrange during his time as a Steward for Hayll's aristos. Nathan could arrange an event here in Ostrava without taking any time out of his more pressing duties. As long as the Queen was pleased, and the coffers were still full, any event Nathan planned would be considered a success.

"I will send the guest lists, seating charts, and more personal decisions on details to Lady Garrick by tomorrow afternoon," Nathan informed Zerek without looking at him. "When scheduling has been finalized, I will send you a copy, so that you can arrange the guards appropriately."

Setting down his pen again, Nathan once more sat casually back in his chair. "Are there any other matters that need my attention, Prince Tedorick?"

Seraphim
He/Him
pst

Zerek made a few notes on his pad of paper while listening to Nathan rattle off a few quick things that just sounded like tedious paperwork to him and nodded. "Okay. If you got that, I will need a list of optional entertainment for me to vet. Once invitations are sent out I will have to up the level of security on the off chance of problems. I don't expect any but you and I both know that even a small possibility is deadly." He tapped his notepad for a moment and flipped a few pages before returning. "I had the idea of having it outdoors than indoors. The weather is turning more into the summer and our Queen does love the gardens. We could have it there or go for a more rustic feel among the tall tree's. What do you think? The forest idea may be a bitch to secure but also gives Aria's court something to talk about."