We've Moved
JCink Bound

Registration on here is now CLOSED because we have moved off of SMF and onto JCink. Come join us on our new shiny forums!!

Author Topic: Drinking the Ghosts Away  (Read 631 times)

Description: Tag: Carra

Seraphim
she/her
pst
Your secret is safe with my Indifference. ~ Percy of Vox Machina

"Discord has a tendency to cause trouble." Carraidhin gave him a cautious look, knowing he was one of the few that could read between her lines. It was both a nuisance but also a blessing wrapped in annoyance. Some secrets she had to keep from him purely for business and their disposition, but others she imparted only onto him. "A rumor among one of the provinces that the Queen's are punishing the people because there is rot in their poorly placed fields. May be something, may be hearsay. Something for someone else to investigate." She watched him drink the water with approval, debating on a glass herself but refrained for the time being.

"Starting to feel a little better?" An unusual personal questions that she reserved purely for him. Edward was hers, though it took an effort to remind herself that they were both human.

KaePhoenix
He / Him
PST
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for."

E
dward casually dismissed Carraidhin's inquiry into his state-of-being. As much as he wanted to take her up on her earlier offer to get drunk with him, this information was too dire to ignore. He instead focused on what she had just told him. The alcohol was still affecting him, but not enough to impede his ability to seriously think like a guard.

"Rumor? No proof?" Edward asked, keeping his tone as neutral as he could so his questions wouldn't seem like some sort of interrogation. Carraidhin didn't have to tell him anything, and he would have to accept it. Still, the questions needed to be asked. "Did your informant say which Province?"

Edward paused with his string of questions as a thought struck him. "It doesn't make sense that the Queens would punish the farmers. Isn't it the Queens' job to ensure the land remains fertile? Why weren't they doing their regular checks? And how can farmers suddenly become incompetent throughout a whole Province?" He scoffed at the whole scenario. Something was definitely off about it. "Something else must be the cause, if the 'rumor' is indeed true."

Seraphim
she/her
pst

Carraidhin let him slip away from her inquiry this time, knowing that he will either admit how he feels or just field it until the day he is on death's door- and even then. Instead, she let her current news slip into their conversation as work always was easier for both of them over feelings. It was what made them both broken and neither of them faulted each other for it.

Absently, Carraidhin picked up some grapes and handed some to Edward before popping one in her mouth as she thought on it. "Somewhere along the border of Jelinia. There was some mix up that it may be Arawin border but most collaborate that it's the most eastern." Popping in another grape, "...though it is odd. The Territory relies on every province for our self-sufficiency in food and trade and if farms are not performing to their best, or even a standard, it affects the Territory long-term. At least it is not up to me to decide what to do about it, but it means putting the right birds to let the appropriate Courts know, and to weed out the weak Queens if that is the case."

She smiled at him, in a way that came across as lazy and uninterested, "And that isn't my problem to handle."

KaePhoenix
He / Him
PST
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for."

D
read replaced suspicion as the information Carraidhin provided sank in.

"Shit. Jelinia...," Edward groaned. "A lot of people will go hungry if we lose that Province's bounty."

Taking a deep breath, Edward filed the knowledge away to contemplate when he was a bit more sober. He ate a few of the grapes Carraidhin had offered him, then decided to change the subject. It was clear his Queen was done with the topic anyhow.

"You're right. It's not your problem," Edward agreed, finishing off his bunch of grapes. Then he leaned back and gave her a smile to match her own. "So, I still have a slight buzz. I believe I was promised a drinking partner?"

Anything to keep the ghosts lingering in the back of Edward's thoughts from returning.

Seraphim
she/her
pst

It took effort not to shove him off the couch for the shift in the conversation. Rumors are rumors and information a weapon as much as a tool, now knowing meant that she did have to hold some responsibility if things failed to be seen through. It just was not her problem today. It was tomorrow's problem. Or next months problem. There were other Queen's who held more Territorial responsibility than her. Not that she liked saving the day, quite the opposite, but there was a joy to shame those that failed.

Thoughts she clearly kept to herself.

"Starting to feel more than just some wine, I see?" She leaned over and kissed him softly on the lips. He tasted like his wine and food. "Did you even leave me any wine?"